What does it take to be an effective leader?
Leaders have a calling and follow their unique life vision.
Do you yearn for your life to have meaning?
Do you want your work to make a difference?
If you answered yes, you have heard your calling and you will no longer be satisfied with life or work as usual. Your calling speaks to you of your divine path in life. It asks you to awaken to who you are and live as if YOU will make the difference.
Each of us has interests, skills, talents, and natural gifts that make us unique. Your gifts acted upon, are your contribution and believe it or not, your contribution can change the world. Awakening is simple and it takes vision. It is the vision you have of the world you most want to live in.
Awakening to your life vision is a discovery process that takes introspection and self inquiry. To discover your vision, follow these steps.
- Set aside quiet time for contemplation. Begin by picking a place that is warm and nurturing, it can be anywhere inside or out. Prepare your surroundings by removing anything that will cause distractions and adding anything that supports your creativity. Pick a time that will be free from interruptions and turn off your phone. Choose a time of day when you are most creative. Have your journal or paper and a pen handy.
- Get comfortable, close your eyes, breath deeply. Now in your minds eye imagine a world that you most want to live in. This world depicts your “best” life. What does it look like? Where are you? Who’s there? What are you doing? What are they doing?
- In your journal answer the following questions:
- What do I do easily?
- What do people come to me for?
- If all my finances were handled, what would I do for the rest of my life?
- Once you’ve written all you can write, circle the 10 words that are most meaningful to you.
- Now craft these ten words into a statement that begins like this, “My life vision is that I am…” or “My life vision is to live in a world…” A vision statement is about who you BE rather than what you DO so stay away from action words as much as possible. Write your statement in the first person, present tense, as if it is already true.
- Once written, speak your statement out loud. How does it feel? Does this paint the vision of who you are? If not continue to work with it. For now, put it away and return to it tomorrow.
- If so, write your statement on a 3″ by 5″ card and post it in a prominent place where you will see it every morning. Begin every morning by reading your statement out loud.
Use your statement to guide your life. Let it support how you live each and every moment, let it support what you think, what you speak, and how you act. Act as if your thoughts, your words, and your actions make a difference…because they do.
What are you willing to do to move forward on your evolutionary path as a leader?